The Ring Road Express Road Trip allows you to explore the whole of Iceland’s Ring Road and Reykjavik in just 9 days. You will visit the incredible sights in each region and with the exclusive Iceland Travel Companion App, you don’t have to worry about missing out on any of the essential experiences.
You will have the freedom and flexibility to travel at your own pace by car. Explore dramatic landscapes sculpted by ancient glaciers and volcanoes, visit sights of historical or cultural significance, or simply bask in the midnight sun in one of Iceland’s many geothermal heated pools and springs.
Do you want to add ice caving, snowmobiling, ATV rides, whale watching or other exciting activities to your itinerary? Go for it! You can easily book your day tours or activities in advance or if you are feeling spontaneous, book them directly in your Iceland Travel Companion App along the way. It’s that easy!
What to bring:
Learn more about what to pack for you Iceland adventure here.
*Please note that the package price is based on 8 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 9 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 8-day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
Please note the ring road today contains a toll tunnel www.tunnel.is
- Explore Iceland‘s ring road with the varied and otherworldly landscape that has made Iceland a “must-see” place to experience.
- Visit Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss and Geysir hot spring area within the Golden Circle
- Travel along the South Coast with its black sand beaches, glaciers and volcanoes
- Experience the mountains, fjords and quirky small towns, including Seydisfjordur in East Iceland
- Admire the Lake Myvatn area and Akureyri in North Iceland
- See all that Reykjavik city has to offer with two overnights in the ‘Capital of Cool’.
- Enhance your trip by adding one of our discounted activity add-on packages to create the perfect vacation that suits your interests.
What you get
- Flexible, stress-free travelling. With a comprehensive map and your own vehicle, drive at your own pace and choose your own stops and activities along the way.
- Digital itinerary with the Iceland Travel Companion App pre-installed on a tablet.
- An electronic version of the Iceland Travel Road Guide. Prior to your arrival, we will send you an electronic version of our Iceland Travel Road Guide. You can start preparing yourself for your upcoming Iceland trip and be prepared for your Iceland adventure.
- Expertise– take advantage of our many years of experience. We plan routes that let you combine driving with good time to explore each area
- We focus on safety– We use safe cars and plan the best itineraries for road conditions in each season. We also have a 24 hour emergency line if issues arise during your visit.
- 2 nights in Reykjavik
- 6 nights in countryside hotels
- 8 Icelandic style breakfasts (except for arrival day)
- Rental car for 8 days with unlimited mileage, CDW, theft protection and VAT**
- GPS system with car and additional authorized driver
- Fuel Discount Card
- Car pick-up/drop-off at Keflavik international airport
- Airport Service Charge
- Customer Care Service during office hours
- Emergency phone line open 24 hours, including weekdays and public holidays
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion (picked up at Keflavik airport with your car rental). The app includes:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services that can be filtered to suit your interests
- Highlight section for each day of the tour
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- A map view of the Iceland road trip
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- Iceland Travel Road Guide about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Breakfast on arrival day
- International airfare
- Personal travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Admissions and activities
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 1400 (2:00 pm)
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under “included”
- Please note that this package can only be booked online.
- Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher.
- Our road trip packages are designed by our team of travel experts. They are created for people like you who want to experience the very best of what Iceland has to offer. To get the best value Iceland Travel has to offer, book our road trips online. Please note that changes to the packages will incur a service fee.
- With our exclusive road trip app you don’t have to worry about missing out and you will always find your way to your hotel after a full day of traveling. It is easy to book day tours and activities in the app when you are on the road.
- Learn about packing essentials for your trip to Iceland here.
- Please note that changes to the packages will incur a service fee. Your Iceland Travel Companion app will also not reflect the changes.
Day 1: Arrival
Keflavik Airport – Reykjavik
Approximate distance: ca 50KM / 31Miles
Once you have landed at Keflavik Airport in Iceland, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport, make sure you receive a tablet with protective case and chargers, and proceed to your hotel in Reykjavik. The rest of the day is yours to rest and use at your own leisure.
Drive to the Reykjanes Peninsula and the famous Blue Lagoon for a relaxing dip in the pleasantly warm geothermal waters, rich in silica and minerals that are great for the skin. We recommend you book your entrance to the Blue Lagoon online well in advance.
Explore the Mars-like landscapes of Reykjanes Peninsula – a UNESCO Global Geopark – and its fishing villages, lighthouse and the colorful geothermal area of Krysuvik. Or simply head to your hotel, relax or explore Reykjavik, the northernmost capital in the world. Walk down the main shopping streets of Laugavegur and Skolavordustigur, or go up to the top of Hallgrimskirkja church and take in the view of the entire city. Feeling hungry? Try the Reykjavik Food Walk Tour.
Overnight in Reykjavik.
- Whale Watching from Reykjavik
- Reykjavik Food Walk
- Perlan – Glaciers and Ice Cave Exhibition
- Puffin Express
Day 2: Explore the Golden Circle
Reykjavik – Thingvellir – Geysir Hot Spring Area – Gullfoss waterfall – Fludir area
Approximate distance: ca141km / 87miles
Today you‘ll visit many of the must-see sights in Iceland.
Begin your day with the UNESCO-listed Thingvellir National Park, famous for its Viking history and geological wonders. Continue to Geysir Hot Spring Area, with its collection of bubbling pools and spouting geysers. Drive onwards to the majestic, two-tiered Gullfoss (Golden Falls). Soak in the Secret Lagoon or Laugarvatn Fontana Baths. Try riding an Icelandic horse. Take a pit stop at Fridheimar greenhouses to see how food is grown in Iceland and sample fresh local cuisine.
Overnight in Fludir area.
- Into the Blue – Snorkeling
- Snowmobile tour on Langjokull Glacier from Gullfoss
- Horse Riding Tour in South Iceland (from Sydra Langholt Farm)
- Standard Lava Tunnel Tour (from Basecamp)
Day 3: The Legendary Icelandic South Coast
Looming volcanoes – Black-Sand Beaches – Thundering Waterfalls – Sea Cliffs & Stone Arches – Snowmobiling
Approximate distance: ca149km /92miles
This day is chock-full of selfie-worthy destinations!
Drive along the scenic southern coast and the area near the infamous Eyjafjallajokull volcano which erupted and disrupted air traffic in the northern hemisphere for weeks in 2010. Star Wars fans will be pleased to know that the opening scenes from The Force Awakens were shot in this area.
Continue onwards and explore the beautiful Skogafoss (don’t miss the beautiful nearby hidden waterfall Gljufrabui) and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls and Myrdalsjokull glacier, which covers the powerful Katla volcano. Here it’s possible to explore an ice cave, go snowmobiling on the glacier, and get envy-worthy photos of southern Iceland’s epic looking coastline. Stop by the peaceful seafront village of Vik to grab a meal and explore a dramatic stretch of coastline, photogenically poised between glacier-topped mountains, rugged sea cliffs and world-famous black sand beaches. Near Vik are the famous Reynisfjara black sand beach and Dyrholaey promontory.
Overnight in the Vik area
Day 4: Drive to the largest glacier in Europe and end up in the langoustine capital of Northern Europe
Vik – Kirkjubaejarklaustur – Skaftafell – Jokulsarlon – Hofn
Approximate distance: 270km / 168miles
Drive from Vik village through the village of Kirkjubaejarklaustur. Explore Skaftafell, a green oasis nestled below the great Vatnajokull glacier, the largest glacier in Europe. Make sure to stop by Skaftafell area, an oasis and hiker’s paradise which is a part of Vatnajokull National Park. Here you can go on amazing glacier hikes! Continue across black sand plains created by glacial activity.
Stop at the incredible Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, a filming location for many Hollywood blockbusters. These include Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and the James Bond films Die Another Day and A View to a Kill. On the other side of the road you can find the unique Diamond Beach.
Head onwards to the seaside town of Hofn. It is known as the langoustine capital of northern Europe. We recommend trying out langoustine for dinner!
Overnight in the Hofn area.
Day 5: See the narrow fjords and the epic coastline of East of Iceland
Narrow Fjords – Steep Mountains – Picturesque Coastline – Intriguing Stone Collection
Approximate distance: ca 262 km / 224 miles
Today you’ll be visiting some of Iceland’s oldest landscapes, the rugged and scenic East Fjords! Give yourself plenty of time to navigate the steep roads and to enjoy the beautiful views. This is special part of Iceland that deserves a closer look. The road takes you by towering mountains and charming fishing villages, a perfect setting for photography.
Djupivogur, the gateway to the East Fjords, is ideal for coastal hiking. As you travel, you might option of visiting Petra’s famous collection of local stones and minerals at Stodvarfjordur. Faskrudsfjordur is a pretty town with an interesting historical connection to France. East Iceland also has ties to the Second World War, and if you enjoy history you should check out the Icelandic Wartime Museum in Reydarfjordur town. East Iceland is a great base for locally-sourced cuisine, and tonight you should enjoy the opportunity to try some specialties of the area in Egilsstadir.
Overnight in east Iceland
Day 6: Explore the highlights of the ‘Diamond Circle’ of North Eastern Iceland
Egilsstadir – Dettifoss waterfall – Ásbyrgi – Husavik – Dimmuborgir – Myvatn
Approximate distance: ca330km / 205 miles
Expect a long day of sightseeing that will take you through the magnificent ´Diamond Circle´of the Icelandic North East. Start out from Egilsstadir, travel across the Modrudalsoraefi highlands renowned for their stark, untouched beauty towards the massive Dettifoss, Europe’s biggest waterfall. When you get there, don’t forget to visit its neighbour Selfoss waterfall. Explore the magnificent horseshoe-shaped canyon Asbyrgi. An optional stop is at the Hljodaklettar rock formations.
Drive onwards to a friendly Husavik fishing port which is often called the capital of whale watching of Iceland. Finish your day by driving to the lovely Lake Myvatn where you can relax in the Myvatn nature baths. Lake Myvatn and its surroundings is one of Iceland’s most impressive destinations.
Overnight in northeast Iceland.
- Husavik Original Whale Watching and Puffins
- Big Whale Safari and Puffins in RIB boats (from Husavik)
- Environmental Friendly Whale Watching tour from Husavik
Day 7: Explore the capital of the North
Myvatn – Akureyri-Skagafjordur
Approximate distance: ca130km / 81miles
Now you have time to explore the highlights of the Lake Myvatn area, including the mystical volcanic formations at Dimmuborgir, the pseudo craters at Skutustadir, the colorful sulfurous slopes of Namaskard, and the Krafla volcanic area. Drive to Godafoss waterfall en route to Akureyri, the charming “capital” of northern Iceland.
Overnight in the Eyjafjordur or Skagafjordur area