Short on time? Want to experience the area voted by US Travel Magazine Travel and Leisure as the winter getaway in Europe? Don´t want to break the bank? We invite you to go on a 5-day road trip of a lifetime through the Snaefellsnes Peninsula.
The western edge of the peninsula includes the national park highlighting Snæfellsjokull glacier which is featured in the epic adventure ´Journey to the Center of the Earth’ by Jules Verne. Snæfellsnes peninsula has been referred to as ´Iceland in Miniature´ as you can experience all the best of Iceland in this region. This includes Snaefellsjokull glacier, impressive beaches, vast lava fields, cliffs teaming with birdlife, impressive rock stacks, friendly fishing towns and imposing mountains.
On our road trips you have the freedom to travel at your own pace by car, you can explore dramatic landscapes sculpted by ancient glaciers and volcanoes, hunt for the elusive northern lights or bask in the midnight sun (depending on the time of year!) and visit the sites – including the famous Londrangar sea stacks.
Do you want to add caving, whale watching, viking sushi tour or other exciting activities to your itinerary? Go for it! You can easily book your day tours or activities in advance or if you are feeling spontaneous, book them directly in your Iceland Travel Companion App along the way. It’s that easy!
- Explore all Iceland‘s main attractions along the Snaefellsnes peninsula. Visit the charming fishing villages of Grundarfjordur, Arnarstapi and Hellnar, beautiful mountains and volcanic craters such as Kirkjufell and Ljosufjoll, the black beach at Djupalonssandur, the majestic glacier Snaefellsjokull, and the seal colony at Ytri Tunga. If you’re lucky and travelling between September and April, you might even spot the northern lights along the way.
- See all that Reykjavik city has to offer with two overnights in the ‘Capital of Cool’.
- Enhance your trip by adding one of our discounted activity add-on packages to create the perfect vacation that suits your interests.
What you get:
- Flexible stress-free travelling. With a comprehensive map and your own vehicle, drive at your own pace and choose your own stops and activities along the way.
- Digital itinerary with the Iceland Travel Companion App pre-installed on a tablet.
- An electronic version of the Iceland Travel Road Guide. Prior to your arrival, we will send you an electronic version of our Iceland Travel Guide Road Guide. You can start preparing yourself for your upcoming Iceland trip and be prepared for your Iceland adventure.
- Expertise– take advantage of our many years of experience. We plan routes that let you combine driving with good time to explore each area
- We focus on safety– We use safe cars and plan the best itineraries for road conditions in each season. We also have a 24 hour emergency line if issues arise during your visit.
What to bring:
Learn more about what to pack for you Iceland adventure here.
**Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4-day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
- 2 nights in Reykjavik
- 2 nights in Snaefellsnes Peninsula
- 4 Icelandic breakfasts (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 4 days with unlimited mileage, CDW, theft protection and VAT**
- GPS system with car and additional authorized driver
- Fuel Discount Card
- Car pick-up/drop-off at Keflavik international airport.
- Airport Service Charge.
- Customer Care service during office hours
- Emergency phone line open 24 hours, including weekends and public holidays.
- Service fee and taxes
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion (picked up at Keflavik airport with your car rental). The app includes:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services that can be filtered to suit your interests
- Highlight section for each day of the tour
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- A map view of the Iceland road trip
- Iceland Travel Road Guide about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Breakfast on arrival day
- International airfare
- Personal travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Admissions and activities
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 1400 (2:00 pm)
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under “included”
- Due to high demand, accommodation in Reykjavik for New Year’s Eve cannot be guaranteed.
- Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher.
- Please note: The northern lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed.
- Please note that this package can only be booked online. Our road trip packages are designed by our team of travel experts. They are created for people like you who want to experience the very best of what Iceland has to offer. To get the best value Iceland Travel has to offer, book our road trips online. Please note that changes to the packages will incur a service fee.
- With our exclusive road trip app, you don´t have to worry about missing out and you will always find your way to your hotel after a full day of traveling. It is easy to book day tours and activities in the app when you are on the road.
- Please note that changes to the packages will incur a service fee. Your Iceland Travel Companion app will also not reflect the changes.
- Learn about packing essentials for your trip to Iceland here.
Day 1: Arrival
Arrival in Iceland – The world’s northernmost capital city
Once you have landed at Keflavik Airport in Iceland, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport, make sure you receive a tablet with protective case and chargers, and proceed to your hotel in Reykjavik. The rest of the day is yours to rest and use at your own leisure.
Overnight in Reykjavik.
- Reykjavik Food Walk
- Cheers to Reykjavík
- Whale Watching from Reykjavik
- Northern Lights Boat Tour
- Perlan – Glaciers and Ice Cave Exhibition
Day 2: Reykjavik – South of Snaefellsnes
Approximate distance: ca 190km / 118miles
Borgarnes – beautiful 19th-century church – lava fields – Arnarstapi – unique rock formations – Snæfellsjökull glacier
This is a day for romantic seaside scenery.
Drive from Reykjavik via the Hvalfjordur tunnel to Borgarnes town which makes for a perfect pit stop. We recommend the cosy Kaffi Kyrrd for refreshments. Proceed from Borgarnes on road 45 to your hotel on the southwestern edge of Sneafellsnes peninsula where the imposing Snaefellsjokull glacier dominates the scenery.
Visit the fishing village of Arnarstapi and its harbor. Walk along the coastline to see the teeming birdlife and the magnificent lava formation. See the monument of the mythical protector of Snaefellsnes, Bardur Snaefellsas and don´t miss Gatklettur or Arch Rock which is a beautiful cliff with a circular arch. It is surrounded by birdlife and pretty flora.
Near Arnarstapi are such natural wonders such as Raudfeldsgja, Dritvik, Bjarnafoss and Londrangar sea stacks.
Nearby is the old charming fishing village of Hellnar. It has lovely rock formations by the sea. One rock formation is especially noteworthy, it is called Valasnos. It has a cave called Badstofa which is famous for its light and hues.
Near Hotel Budir is a pathway which takes you through a lava field by the coast to charming 19th-century church. It is a setting for a perfect romantic walk.
Overnight in a local hotel.
- Iceland Buggy Adventure from Mosfellsbaer
- Krauma Nature Baths
- Vatnshellir Caving (from Snaefellsnes Peninsula)
- Fat Bike Volcano and Off-Road Tour
Day 3: South West of Snaefellsnes to North of Snaefellsnes
Approximate distance: ca 145km / 90miles
Impressive mountains – fishing villages – Kirkjufell – Stykkisholmur – Breidafjordur Bay
Drive from your hotel on the South Western part of Snaefellsnes peninsula. If you are up to it you can book a caving tour in the 200 meters long and 35-meter deep lava cave Vatnshellir. Don´t worry, you can book this tour in the Iceland Companion app at your leisure. Continue to the fishing villages of Hellissandur, Rif and Olafsvik. At Olafsvik village you can join a whale watching tour during the summer (1 April – 15 September). In winter, you can join a whale watching tour from the village of Grundarfjordur. Again, you can book this in the Iceland Travel Companion app.
Proceed to the town of Grundarfjordur which is famous for the picturesque (or shall we say Tolkienesque) mountain of Kirkjufell. During the summer Grundarfjordur hosts a ´Viking village´ with the local Viking Association showing re-enactments. The surrounding fjord is abundant in marine-life and in winter orca whales can be seen swimming near the shore, chasing Iceland’s delicious herring. The area has also become a known sanctuary for the white-tailed eagle which is the largest predatory bird in Iceland.
From Grundarfjordur there is a short drive to Stykkisholmur, the largest town on the peninsula. From there you will have a fantastic view over the islands in Breidafjordur Bay.
Overnight in Stykkisholmur town or nearby towns.
Day 4: Stykkisholmur to Reykjavik
Approximate distance: ca 165KM / 103 miles to Reykjavik
Drive back to Reykjavik through Snaefellsnes Peninsula and Borgarfjordur Valley via Borgarnes. Stop by the Settlement Center of Iceland in Borgarnes to learn about Viking history or just enjoy an excellent meal. If the weather is good, enjoy a scenic detour to Hvalfjordur fjord. Enjoy your free afternoon in Reykjavik.
Overnight in Reykjavik.
Day 5: Departure
Approximate distance: ca52km / 32miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon, as it is on your way to the airport if you did not have time to do it on your arrival day. *
**Please note that the package price is based on 4×24 hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4-day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.