Travel along West Iceland and the varied landscapes of the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, a showcase of lava formations, geothermal activity and Viking Saga history on the stunning Spectacular West Road Trip.
The remote Westfjords are the least populated area in Iceland and ideal for off-the-beaten-track encounters with extraordinary nature. The Westfjords specialize in extremes: steep mountains plunge into deep fjords, rugged seabird cliffs hang over delicate beaches, and steamy thermal pools that among flowering vegetation.
- Visit the region Lonely Planet recommended as a must-visit place in 2016
- Follow the footsteps of Viking settlers, including famous explorers
- Visit locations mentioned in Icelandic Sagas
- Be captivated by Snaefellsjokull, a glacial volcano that has inspired authors and artists for hundreds of years
- Explore the hidden and stunning beauty of the Westfjords region
- Discover tiny villages tucked in the fjords, each with its own character
- View some of the most diverse wildlife in Iceland in nature reserves
- Take advantage of opportunities to try sea kayaking, boat tours and seacoast horseback riding
What you get:
- Digital itinerary with the Iceland Travel Companion.
- Electronic version of Iceland Travel Booklet. Prior to your arrival we will send you an electronic version of our Iceland Travel Guide booklet. You can start preparing yourself for your upcoming Iceland trip and be prepared for your Iceland adventure!
- Flexibility. With comprehensive maps and your own vehicle, drive at your own pace. Choose your preferred stops during the day.
- Expertise– take advantage of our many years of experience. We plan routes that let you combine driving with good time to explore each area
- We focus on safety– We use safe cars and plan the best itineraries for road conditions in each season. We also have a 24 hour emergency line if issues arise during your visit.
**Please note that the package price is based on 6 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 7 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 6 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.
- Accommodation for 6 nights
- 6 Icelandic style breakfasts (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 6 days with CDW, theft protection, unlimited mileage, VAT (Types of Car recommended:2.0 and higher)
- GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick up/drop off at Keflavik International Airport
- Airport Service Charge
- Fuel Discount Card
- Customer Care service during office hours
- Emergency phone line open 24 hours, including weekends and holidays
- Service fee and taxes
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion (picked up at Keflavik airport with your car rental). The app includes:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services that can be filtered to suit your interests
- Highlight section for each day of the tour
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- A map view of the Iceland road trip
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- Iceland Travel Road Guide about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
* We highly recommend adding the one-way ferry to this tour. Please let us know at booking time and we will be happy to set up the ferry booking for you.
- Breakfast on arrival day
- International airfare
- Personal travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Ferry transfer across Breidafjordur Bay (can be added into the package- see price details) *
- Admissions and activities
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 2:00pm)
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under “included”
- You must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car category 5.0 or higher.
- Car category 2.0 or higher is recommended for this itinerary.
- Our road trip packages are designed by our team of travel experts. They are created for people like you who want to experience the very best of what Iceland has to offer. To get the best value Iceland Travel has to offer, book our road trips online. Please note that changes to the packages will incur a service fee.
- With our exclusive road trip app you don´t have to worry about missing out and you will always find your way to your hotel after a full day of traveling. It is easy to book day tours and activities in the app when you are on the road.
Day 1: Arrival
Geothermal Lagoon – Flower Village – Geothermal Greenhouses
Approximate distance: 100km / 62miles
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience.
From Keflavik International Airport, we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. This village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and, because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the “flower village.”
Overnight stay in Hveragerdi.
Day 2: Reykjavik – Snaefellsnes Peninsula – Stykkisholmur
Massive Crater – Pebble Beaches – Glacier-Capped Volcano
Approximate distance: 250km / 160miles
Depart your hotel and travel along the west coast towards the Snæfellsnes peninsula. En route pass the perfectly formed Eldborg crater, which looks as if it belongs on the moon. Explore the extraordinary variety of natural wonders along the peninsula from the rich birdlife at Arnarstapi sea cliffs to pleasant hiking along the shiny pebble beach at Djupalonssandur.
Throughout the day enjoy the sight of Snaefellsjokull glacier, the icy cone-shaped peak which covers a dormant volcano that last erupted in 250 AD.
Overnight in west Iceland.
Day 3: Stykkisholmur – Brjanslaekur – Westfjords
Quaint Fishing Villages – Ferry on Breidafjordur Bay – Europe’s Largest Bird Cliffs
Approximate distance: 155km / 95miles
Sail across Breidafjordur Bay, which is home to more than 3,000 tiny islands inhabited by nesting seabirds and playful seals. (Please note the ferry cost is not included in the package price.) Upon reaching the remote Westfjords, explore the area’s main attraction, Latrabjarg cliffs, the westernmost point in Europe. The remarkable 441-meter-high (1,447 ft) sea cliffs are alive with millions of playful puffins, gannets, guillemots and razorbills. This beautiful natural sculpture has been recognized by both Lonely Planet and National Geographic as one of the greatest wildlife spectacles in the world. The cliffs make a stunning viewpoint to the beautiful beaches below during the Midnight Sun of summer.
If you do not want to take the ferry, you can drive along scenic coastal roads to the southern West Fjords area of Brjanslaekur and, from there, on to Látrarbjarg. (Adds an additional hour and 211 km/131 miles to your trip.) In September, the ferry does not operate all days, and driving the coastal roads is the best option.
Overnight in the Westfjords.
Day 4: Patreksfjordur – Bildudalur – Thingeyri – Isafjordur
Rugged Heaths – ‘Thunderer’ Waterfall – Capital of the Westfjords
Approximate distance: 220km / 135miles
Travel across the spectacular Westfjords, keeping an eye out for thermal bathing springs hidden among the rugged heaths. At Dynjandi waterfall, the thunderous power of the main cascade drops 100 meters (329 ft) off the edge of a mountain. The waterfall base provides views seaward over lush valleys, making it an ideal picnic stop. En route, enjoy provincial charms in the fishing villages of Thingeyri before arriving in Isafjordur. Explore this honorary capital of the Westfjords, which has a real vibrancy and an endearing micro-culture created from years of isolation.
Overnight in Isafjordur area.
Day 5: Isafjordur – Holmavik – Strandir – Laugar Saelingsdalur
Uninhabited Fjords – Seal and Birdlife – Remote Arctic Wilderness
Approximate distance: 360km / 220miles
Drive the numerous uninhabited inlets of Isafjardardjup Fjord, with its beautiful coastline teeming with seals and bird life, towards Holmavik village. We recommend an excursion to the Strandir coast, one of the least-visited corners of Iceland. This remote and desolate wilderness has an air of mystery, where you can hike the breathtaking moorlands, soak in natural geothermal pools and learn about ancient sorcery and witchcraft. End your day in the fertile green valleys of Laugar in Saelingsdalur, an area rich in ancient Saga folklore and history.
Overnight in the Laugar Saelingsdalur area.
Day 6: Laugar Saelingsdalur – Borgarfjordur – Reykjavik
Viking Heritage – Mysterious Waterfalls – Europe’s Most Powerful Hot Spring
Approximate distance: 290km / 180miles
Drive to Eiriksstadir, the Viking Age home of Erik the Red and birthplace of his son Leif Eriksson, who discovered North America. See the turf-covered replica of his longhouse and the adjacent excavation site where you can stand on Leif’s doorstep and share his magnificent view overlooking Haukadalur valley. Head through Borgarfjordur, visiting Hraunfoss waterfall where the water shimmers from moss-covered lava into cerulean waters below. The nearby Barnafoss Falls have a mysterious secret to reveal. Be sure to stop at Deildartunguhver, Europe’s most powerful hot spring, where you can buy organic tomatoes grown using geothermal heat. Continue via Hvalfjordur (the Whale Fjord) to Reykjavik.
Overnight in Reykjavik.
Day 7: Departure
Approximate distance: ca52km / 32miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon as it is on your way to the airport if you did not have time to do it on your arrival day. *
*Please note that the package price is based on 6 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 7 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 6 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.